Microneedling skin care treatment is a form of Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) performed usually under topical anesthesia for improving atrophic scars, rhytides, ageing skin (rejuvenation), or for trans-dermal delivery of various mesotherapy therapeutics.
Microneedling skin care treatment consists of puncturing the skin multiple times by using a specially-designed instrument consisting of a rolling barrel covered by 96 or 192 stainless steel microneedles distributed in eight rows with a length varying from 1.5-2.5 mm.
MECHANISM OF ACTION:
In the dermis, the microneedles individually go through various wound healing phases and heal with the new collagen and elastin regeneration along with neo-vascularization and collagen remodelling in the upper dermis through release of several growth factors. Hence, it is also known as CIT. The old fibrosis tissue is broken up. Together, these processes bring about an aesthetic improvement by processing skin rejuvenation.
1. Facial rejuvenation - Early changes like fine wrinkles and mild laxity
2. Skin rejuvenation of neck, chest, abdomen, and arm-laxity
3. Open pores
4. Acne scars (Atrophic) - Macular, rolling, linear, valley type (after subcision as a panacea for improving all skin types)
5. Stretch marks
6. Introduction of nutrients, growth factors, PRP
Keloidal tendency, pregnancy, collagen vascular disease, active acne, and secondary infection (bacterial, viral, herpes labialis, warts, etc.), koebnerization (active psoriasis, vitiligo, and lichen planus).
1. Counselling - The procedure, its outcome, side effects, microneedling skin care treatment cost in Chandigarh and complication/side effects (if any) are discussed with the patient in advance.
1. Topical anesthesia applied under occlusion for 1 hour prior to the procedure
2. Preparation with spirit and povidone
3. Selection of the dermaroller:
Select a dermaroller with proper barrel width, needle length and needle diameter taking into consideration the indication for which it is going to be used. For instance, for acne scars the needle diameter should be as large as 0.25 mm, which causes maximum injury without any scarring. The needle length should be up to 2mm, which should be able to reach and target mid-reticular dermis as this will break the fibrosis scar tissue and stimulate formation of new elastin and collagen tissue.
1. Medication: Antibiotics, analgesics, and anti-inflammatory.
3. Regular washes with mild soap and water
4. Special cocktail of topical preparation - creams/gels/serums as prescribed by your dermatologist as per the indication/skin type to enhance the results of the procedure.
5. Sun restriction and sun protection (cap, scarf, and sunscreen) for 7-10 days.
Once in 4 weeks, 4-8 such sessions.
Sequelae of Microneedling:
- Usual events: Pain, bleeding (immediate), oozing (exudation - first 2 days), discomfort, erythema, crusting, and exfoliation.
- Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation is possible if the patient/s do not take any precautions against sun exposure.
1. Simple, safe (for India skin type), cost-effective office procedure.
2. Minimal side effects/complications, downtime, and excellent aesthetic results in the long run.
3. Can be performed under topical or local anesthesia with minimum or nil discomfort.
4. Can be followed immediately with topical delivery of therapeutics mesotherapy, PRP etc.