When I counsel any patient with under eye dark circles, the results may vary from patient to patient depending upon the cause. So, I promise results varying between 40 to 90 % depending upon the cause.
Various mechanisms may be playing a role in dark circles like dermal melanin, exogenous cause like allergy or a deficiency , skin laxity or periorbital fat protrusion . I strategise my treatment keeping these aspects in mind.
Various factors implicated in the causation of dark circles are:
-Hereditary/ genetic factors
-Lack of sleep & Exhaustion
-Vitamin deficiencies— Iron deficiency, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3
-Deep set eyes
Possible mechanisms may include poor microcirculation, capillary fragility, thin skin and leaky chapellaries.
Management has two parts:-
1. Adequate fluid intake at least 3 litres/ day
2. Adequate sleep
3. Avoid scratching the skin in underage area
4. Nutritious balanced diet
5. SUN PROTECTION IS VERY IMPORTANT
2 Targeted approach : for SKIN HYPERPIGMENTATION & FAT LOSS INDUCED UNDEREYE HOLLOWS & EYEBAGS
1. For SKIN HYPERPIGMENTATION : There are various options like topical creams containing vitamin K1, retinol, ionic acid, isoflavones, liquorice extract, Sabiwhite, 5% vitamins C —available in the market. Chemical peels and laser treatments can also help . But these treatments must be done carefully by an expert dermatologist .
2. FOR FAT LOSS INDUCED HOLLOWS : Dermal fillers like Juvederm, restylane or autologous fat transplant may do wonders for fat loss. However transplanted fat cells don’t stay for long.? Now with availability of canola, there is no risk of bruising or further darkening of pigmentation the underage area.? Laxity can be treated with botulinum toxin or antiwrinkle injections.
3. FOR EYE BAGS : Mesotherapy and dermarollers play a vital role in improving texture, eyeballs and hyperpigmentation . All such procedures must be performed by an expert dermatologist.