IPL treatment for acne scars consists of powerful xenon flash lamp that is a high-intensity gas-discharge lamp, filled with xenon gas. It generates photons, which are seen as bright light in a pulse mode, when the electric current passes through the gas. The electric energy stored in the capacitor bank is converted into optical energy by this lamp and emitted out at high intensity as a non-coherent, polychromatic light in a broad wavelength covering UV to infrared spectrum.Indications:
- Acne vulgaris
- Acne scars
- A detailed history of herpes labialis, keloidal tendency, drugs (oral contraceptives, photosensitizing, treatments taken in past) is taken from the patient.
- Sun restriction and sunscreen 4-6 weeks prior to the treatment, if treating a sun-exposed area.
- Patient information is taken and a detailed counselling is done on the procedure planned, its side effects, number of sittings required, IPL laser cost etc.
- Clinical evaluation of indication for which IPL is being used, local examination of the skin, and assessment of the skin type of the patient should be carried out. This is important, as darker skin type requires proper selection of IPL parameters, proper epidermal cooling facilities, etc.
- Clean and shave area to be treated if necessary.
- We apply a thick coat of chilled Water Based Gel over the skin of the area.
- Then patient is asked to close the eyes and the eyes are further covered with protective IPL specific goggles.
- Handpiece is placed perpendicular and flush to the skin surface coated with Water Based Gel.
- IPL pulses are placed adjacent to each other with minimal overlap. Move handpiece sequentially so as to cover the complete area.
- The immediate response will vary from the lesion being treated. Usually it is blanching followed by erythema after some time.
- Ice packs are given to reduce post-operative erythema/swelling.
- Topical creams & special preparations are prescribed by our dermatologist to enhance the results of the procedure.
- Patient is instructed to use sunscreen religiously and avoid sun exposure.
IPL laser treatment in Chandigarh requires multiple treatment sessions for optimum results. Repeat treatment is usually given every 2-3 weeks as per the condition being treated.Sequelae:
Rarely discomfort, burning sensation, erythema, oedema.Advantages:
- IPL system are versatile and multiple condition can be treated with one system.
- IPL has larger safety margin; hence less side effects.
- The treating aperture size of IPL is large; hence large areas can be rapidly treated.